WASHINGTON (Army News Service) -- On Nov. 11, 2013, America will pay tribute to the men and women who served the nation. For Veterans Day, as a way to say thanks, many businesses across the nation will be giving discounts and running promotions for veterans.
Many establishments -- from retailers, restaurants, hotels, cell phone providers, automobile services, insurance agencies, recreational sites, movie theaters, sports and entertainment venues, travel services and others -- offer military discounts on Veterans Day and throughout the year.
The offers are subject to change or may not be offered at a particular location, so would-be takers should call ahead to confirm a discount is being offered. Most businesses also require proof of military service. A current military identification card or a DD Form 214 will usually suffice.
The following are deals as part of the Veterans Day 2013 recognition. Just because an establishment isn't listed, it doesn't mean it doesn't offer a great deal to the men and women who have served, so be sure to ask before making a purchase:
- Applebee's: free meal. Last year, Applebee's served over one million free meals to military veterans and active service members. Applebee's is again offering a free meal to military veterans and active-duty service members on Veterans Day. There will be seven entrées to choose from. Beverage and gratuity are not included.
- Bar Louie: free meal. Active duty military members and veterans can receive a free meal, up to $10 in value, and a free non-alcoholic beverage.
- Champps Americana: free burger. The restaurant is celebrating veterans with an All American Meal. Offer not valid for the Pepperjack Bacon Stack Burger or Kobe Burger. Dine-in only and valid at participating locations.
- Chili's: free meal. Chili's is offering all military veterans past and present their choice of one of seven meals. The offer is available from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Nov. 11, at participating Chili's. Dine-in from limited menu only. Beverages and gratuity are not included.
- Denny's: free all you can eat pancakes. Free all you can eat pancakes from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Famous Dave's: free or discounted meals. Offer varies by location, please check the Famous Dave's Veterans Day page or call your local restaurant for more information.
- Fox & Hound and Bailey's Sports Bar: free item. Veterans and active duty military will receive a free item from the seven under $7 menu
- Golden Corral: free meal. The 13th annual Golden Corral Military Appreciation Monday dinner is available to any person who has ever served in the United States Military. Golden Corral restaurants have provided over 3.2 million free meals and contributed over $6.1 million to the Disabled American Veterans organization.
- Hooters: free meal. Hooter's is serving up a free meal to military veterans all day on Veterans Day. Get 10 free wings, boneless or regular. Drink purchase required. Offer valid at participating Hooters.
- Krispy Kreme: free doughnut and small coffee. Offer valid at participating Krispy Kreme stores.
- Little Caesars Pizza: free Crazy Bread. Little Caesars is honoring the men and women of the United States armed forces this Veterans Day with a free Crazy Bread at participating stores nationwide.
- Lone Star Steakhouse: free appetizer. Free appetizer for military members and veterans. Taste of Texas Sampler not included. ID required, please call ahead for verification.
- Max & Erma's: free best cheeseburger combo. Participating Max & Erma's locations are offering military members and veterans a free Best Cheeseburger in America Combo, which includes tortilla soup or side Caesar salad, seasoned fries, and chocolate chip cookies.
- McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurants: free lunch or dinner. On Nov. 10, 2013, veterans will be able to choose a complimentary lunch or dinner entrée. Veterans must provide proof of military service. Valid at participating restaurants only. Space is limited; reservations are highly recommended.
- Outback Steakhouse: a week of free Bloomin' Onions and Coca-Cola products, from Nov. 8 to Nov. 11. Outback Steakhouse is honoring America's military veterans by offering active duty military and veterans a free Bloomin' Onion and a Coca-Cola product during the week leading up to Veteran's Day. This offer is available to military personnel with ID.
- Sizzler Restaurants: buy one get one free. Buy one 6 oz. steak entrée, get one free.
- Spaghetti Warehouse: buy one get one free. The Spaghetti Warehouse is running a "Take a veteran out to eat," promotion, Nov. 10-11. Buy one Lasange or any Original Spaghetti entrée, get one free, with coupon that can be found on their Facebook page: www.facebook.com/SpaghettiWarehouse.
- Texas Roadhouse: free lunch, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Every Texas Roadhouse location across the country will participate in the free lunch event to honor the men and women of our armed forces. Choose from one of 10 free meals, plus sides and a drink.
- T.G.I. Fridays: free lunch. Wear uniform, if permitted by your service, or present military ID or other proof of service. Only valid at participating locations.
- The Olive Garden: free entrée. Offer good for veterans and active duty military, Nov. 11, during regular business hours. Choose from a special menu; all entrées include freshly baked garlic sticks and choice of soup or salad. Offer good in U.S. and Canada.
- Tim Hortons: free doughnut. All U.S. locations are offering a free doughnut to all veterans.
- 7-Eleven: free small Slurpee. Offer good from 11 a.m. and 7 p.m.
- Uno Chicago Grill: buy one get one free. Enjoy a free entrée or individual pizza, with the purchase of an entrée or pizza of equal or greater value.
Free recreational site admission for Veterans Day:
- Anheuser-Busch Parks: free admission. Anheuser-Busch Parks offers active duty service members and up to three dependents free admission to any of their parks once a year. Not valid at Discovery Cove and Aquatica, or at Christmas Town at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Va.
- Colonial Williamsburg: free admission. Colonial Williamsburg offers free weekend-long admission tickets to active duty military, reservists, retirees, veterans, and their immediate dependents, Nov. 11-13
- Fee Free Day at National Parks. To honor America's service men and women, Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar announced that areas managed by the National Park Service would not charge entrance fees for Veteran's Day weekend to Nov. 11. More than 100 national parks will be participating in this event.
- Knott's Berry Farm: free admission. Knott's Berry Farm has an annual military tribute event in which it offers military members past and present free park admission.
- Pro Football Hall of Fame: free admission. Annual Veterans Day Salute, Nov. 7, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Veterans and a guest will be admitted free for a day-long recognition of veterans. Members of the Blue and Gold Star Mothers are also eligible for free admission. There will be a special ceremony beginning at 10:00 a.m. in the Hall of Fame's NFL Films Theater.
Retail Stores and More:
- Amazon.com: free MP3 album download. The free downloadable album "Veterans Day Honor" includes 12 songs as performed by the military bands and ensembles of the U.S. Armed Forces. Visit Amazon now through Veteran's Day to download the album for free. The album will be full price again starting Nov. 11.
- Big Lots: 10% off your entire purchase.
- Cabela's: Standard employee discount to all veterans, active duty military, Guard/Reserves, law enforcement, fire and EMS personnel on Nov. 10-11. Discount varies from 5% to 20%, depending on the item.
- Dollar General: 10% discount on entire purchase on Veteran's Day. Offer good for all active-duty military, retirees, veterans, Guard/Reserve, and immediate family members. The coupon can be found in the store circular, or by asking an employee. Also good online from Nov 11-13, use Coupon Code VETERANSDAY.
- Free Car wash. Thousands of car washes around the country are offering veterans a free car wash on Veterans Day. Find a list at Grace for Veterans, http://graceforvets.org, which helped veterans receive 101,537 free car washes on Veterans Day in 2010.
- Jos. A. Bank Specials: Veterans Day Sale. All suits on sale, second for $47, with the Mix 'n Match. 40% off all dress shirts, sportshirts, ties and sportswear. Free shipping on orders of $195 or more.
- K-Mart: Friday and Saturday sales. Early Veterans Day sale, Nov. 10, with an extra 5-10% off almost everything, with coupon code VETERANSDAY. Friday and Saturday specials, extra 5-15% off and free shipping on orders of $49 or more, with coupon code HOLIDAY.
- Sam's Club: free Hugo canes. Locations nationwide will distribute 36,000 Hugo canes free, Nov. 9-11, to veterans in need of mobility assistance. Limited quantities available, while supplies last. Sam's Club Membership is not required. For more information, visit www.HugoSalutes.com.
- Sports Authority: 15% off all purchases.
- Sport Clips : Veterans Day National Cut-a-Thon and Help A Hero program. Sport Clips is the official haircutter of the VFW and will donate $1 from every haircut during the National Cut-a-Thon to VFW's Operation Uplink, which provides free phone time to active-duty military personnel and hospitalized veterans. Sports Clips stores also offer a Heroes discount that includes active and retired military.
- Steve Madden: doubles military discount. Steve Madden is doubling its everyday military discount of 15% to 30% off for Veterans Day. In Steve Madden stores only; not valid online. Full priced merchandise only.