If you do not follow the instructions concerning our policy on external links
your submission will be sent to the spam folder.
As a professional firefighter we preach FIRE SAFETY, yet we overlook a huge safety issue that lurks at all hotels and motels in the USA. We inspect the hotel main lobby, storage area, laundry facility, pool areas, but we never inspect the rooms.
Yes the hotel/motel rooms have a hidden danger in them. We as inspectors overlook these rooms, why? Because they are occupied? Yes, but why do we not inspect these rooms when they are not occupied? What about when the hotel/motel rooms are being constructed? What about final inspection?
Why are we the professionals allowing this to happen yet we preach FIRE SAFETY?
We as the professionals we need to stress the nature of the safety of this and the lack of our commitment to ensuring that the safety we preach to the public is what we need to adhere too. By not following our commitment as a professional and allowing this we put travelers in danger every day and night. We know that water and electricity do not mix. We know that electricity will kill.
I travel a lot and stay in hotels and motels. I have stayed in Motel 6 to mid $100 a night casino rooms. They all are the same. The outlet is at the head of the bed, the bed is shoved up tight against the outlet breaking the outlets, breaking the protective cord cover, breaking the wires and allowing the wires to poke thru the bed linens energizing the bed.
You as the professional inspector needs to ensure that this never happens, it is your name on the inspection report, it will be you answering questions as to why this passed an inspection. Maybe or maybe not this is a enforceable code, a NEC Code, OSHA or State/Local Fire Code. But its your responsibility to ensure that the customer is safe and the hotel/motel owner has a safe room for rent. Last year I stayed in a motel in Liberal, KS and found this problem in my room (this is the 1st thing I look for after spotting the nearest fire extinguisher and emergency exits) the out let was broke, the protective covering on the cord was broke.....I am sure if I laid in the bed just out of the shower I would not be here today. I notified the owner who was on site and told him and showed him. He gave a refund, a new room and the next morning at 9 when I was checking out an electrical company was there to fix the outlet, the owner said he would ensure that all rooms were changed I have not been back to check.
As you can see that this outlet is already broke, the manager gave us a new room, and said they would pass on the concern to the operator.
Wake up fire inspectors. If the room is not occupied you can inspect the rooms. As the professional you are, the education and training you have received you must ensure that your name that is on the report must be protected.