If you’ve never tried deep fried turkey ~ it’s great! But keep in mind there are many risks associated with doing it. Check out these safety tips and a brief 2-minute video from Underwriters Laboratories.
Some turkey fryer hazards:
- Many units easily tip over, spilling the hot oil from the cooking pot.
- If the cooking pot is overfilled with oil, the oil may spill out of the unit when the turkey is placed into the cooking pot. Oil may hit the burner or flames, causing a fire to engulf the entire unit.
- Partially frozen turkeys placed into the fryer can cause a spillover effect. This too may result in an extensive fire.
- With no thermostat controls, the units also have the potential to overheat the oil to the point of combustion.
- The lid and handles on the sides of the cooking pot get dangerously hot, posing severe burn hazards.
Watch below fryer safety video and find more holiday safety tips here